Apple Berry Oats with Walnut Crumble; warm, sweet, creamy oats topped with crunchy, warm crumbled walnuts. Perfect start for brightening up any day.
The weekend was SUCH a tease! The weather was just beautiful…
Saturday I managed to leave the scarves, jackets, beanies at home and wear a very spring top. The sun shining, wishing I remembered where I put my sunglasses, sunroof open…. SO good! It is amazing how just a little sunshine and warmth can make you feel 100% better.
Sunday was pretty good too… I even found the motivation to get into the garden and give it some much needed attention. Okay, honesty time (because I know I’ll get pulled up on this one if a certain someone reads this). I sat in the garden with a coffee… for awhile… chatting and watching K weed, move rocks etc etc… then I helped… a bit… a little.
So, after last weekend… weather man, on the last weekend of winter, I want a sunny winter day. I want to enjoy it with hot coffee, Pjs and these oats!
One of the best things about winter …a way to warm up (even though Mum always got up earlier just to put the heater on so the house was warm by the time we got out of bed for school) was mums oats in the morning… with butter, brown sugar or golden syrup. Oh, so not healthy… but they were SO good! This recipe reminds me of those mornings… and warm cuddles.
Where ever you are in the world, are you craving a season change?! I don’t know if I am ready for summer yet… but definitely spring.
Did you have good ol’ oats for breakfast growing up? Did your mum have a trick to make them taste more exciting or was it boring water and oat mush? I’d love to hear from you, leave me a comment!
The following recipe is for one serve. However, it is very easy to double… triple… quadruple…
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup milk (any kind)
- ¼ large apple- grated
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ teaspoon of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of chopped/crumbled walnuts
- ½ teaspoon raw or coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan forced.
- Mix the walnuts, sugar and coconut oil together and place on baking paper on a tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until the nuts are golden.
- In the meantime, place the oats, water and milk in a small saucepan and begin to heat on a low temperature.
- Add the grated apple and vanilla to the oats and continue to cook until they thicken to your liking.
- Just before serving, add the blueberries. If frozen, add the blueberries when adding the apple to allow them to defrost.
- Top with the walnut crumble just before serving.