Apple Cinnamon Granola; crunchy, chewy and naturally sweet. This granola is perfect for breakfast or even a snack.
It has started to kick in… the dread. It bit at and twisted my stomach as I heard the horrible sound (which is actually beautiful forest noises of birds tweeting & rain)… the alarm.
It wasn’t my usual early morning start, but it reminded me of it. I’ve been on holidays for 5 weeks… 5 glorious weeks and if I have ever set an alarm in that time, it might of been on Christmas day just to make sure I didn’t miss any Christmas morning breakfast (also known as eating the chocolates left on the table from Christmas eve)
It wasn’t the idea of returning to work that so shocked me from my dreaming slumber… it was the rush. Mornings = rush. I’ll be honest, I SUCK at them. No matter how early I get up, I can’t seem to get it right. But! I am going to try really hard this year… because… this is what it looks like in the morning from my place and I REALLY want to try and enjoy it a little more each morning… with a big coffee in my hand.
So…let’s welcome pre made (healthy) breakfasts into the mix, because… my other goal is to get up and go for a
run jog walk before work… who wants to bet on if that is actually going happen?!?
With healthy granola, it is so easy to quick whip up breakfast… only a couple of ingredients- milk and granola & maybe some yoghurt. Easy. I’ve even been known to put the yoghurt in the bowl the night before… I just realised how dumb that sounds as I typed it. Anyhoo…
This recipe you can use coconut oil instead of butter to make it even healthier, the granola just won’t crisp up as much. If you love a little colour, you can always throw in some berries too.
Do you love easy breakfasts too? You might want to check out: Summer Berry Granola, Overnight Mocha Oats (because in the morning you need all the caffine you can get…!!) Love peanut butter? Me too… check out PB & J breakfast crunch or if you’re gluten free, visit Gluten Free Peach & Blueberry Granola
- 3 tablespoons butter (can use coconut oil, it won't crisp as much)
- 2 large teaspoons honey (add more for your taste if you like it sweeter)
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2½ cups oats
- ¾ cup chopped dry apple
- ¼ cup coconut- optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter (or coconut oil) and honey together. Add the apple sauce and mix until well combined.
- Add the oats and ground cinnamon and mix well so all the oats are coated.
- Place on a lined oven tray and bake for 12-15 minutes until the oats begin to turn golden. Remove from the oven, mix and then add the apple and coconut and return to the oven. Cook for 5 minutes or until the granola is crunchy. Watch carefully to ensure the apple does not burn.
- Cool and then store in an airtight jar