Choc Caramel Pretzel Popcorn; crispy, crunchy popcorn mixed with salty pretzels, sweet caramel and milk chocolate. The ultimate snack!
You do realise you aren’t going to work tomorrow, don’t you?
This time last year I was perched on the edge of the couch, just excited that Friday was coming and wondering why I wouldn’t be at work…
Hearing these words from a complete jokester didn’t really make me fall for what he said, but there was something in his eyes that told me it might have been the truth.
It was my big 3-0 birthday and I was apparently heading to Bali to celebrate… in a few hours.
Best – birthday – surprise…. ever!
I remember as a kid, the countdown…
Mum and Dad ALWAYS made us feel special (still does!) Mum cooked up a feast to feed the troops, Dad would prep the BBQ and there was always more than one cake…
One thing I do realise as I get older is that it isn’t about the presents (though, I wouldn’t say no 😉 ) but it is about the little things people do to show you they care… the time they spend with you, the thoughts. On my 25th birthday my Dad gave me a framed poem he wrote for me within the first week I was home from the hospital with the small title ‘To Kirsten’
‘Gold encrusted solid morn… Mt eyes start glistening as the story unfolds…’
Dad’s cards still read like a poem now… such a word smith!
Mum has a gift for making us feel like we are the most special person in the world in those moments… and she makes killer cakes.
My sister, Kizz is an awesome cake eating buddy… just when you think you can’t eat anymore.. she’ll suggest cheesecake.
My partner… well, without getting soppy.. ever year he shows me just how much he knows me.
(you can read about them and see some pics here)
So, today is my birthday… I can’t wait to see what the day brings (but I am hoping for perfect behaving kids, a cancelled meeting or two and a slice of cake 😉 )
Celebrate with me… grab that piece of cake today, have that extra coffee (or wine!) and if you want to share the love… share Treat Yourself Sweeter with a friend.
Tell me, do you still love your birthday or pretend it doesn’t happen? Do you have any foodie birthday traditions? I don’t really… but I am going to eat this popcorn in front the TV tonight 😉
- ½ cup popping corn- air popped (approx. 100g)
- 120 grams butter
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar (approx. 110g)
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ cups pretzels pieces
- 300 grams chocolate covered almonds
- Pop the corn in a popcorn machine. If you don’t have one, pop on the stove using some oil and the directions on packet. Put popped corn in a large bowl and discard the unpopped pieces. Add the pretzels.
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter, sugar and honey. Mix until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved. Bring to a boil and let it boil, uncovered until it begins to change to a darker caramel colour, usually about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour over the popcorn and pretzels and mix well until all is covered.
- Spread on a tray and allow to cool. When cooled, break up and then add the chocolate covered almonds. Mix well. Store in an airtight container. Too easy!