Easy Chicken and Vegetable Pot Pie; Crispy pastry filled with creamy, chicken and vegetable filling that is piping hot and the perfect midweek meal
Mums are always right… right?
‘The week after Easter, it always gets cold’…. I giggled, out loud. It reminded me of the time she told my Dad it would rain tomorrow because kookaburras were laughing at dusk… she bet a box of her favourite chocolates on it….
She won and she was right about this too. Oh my gosh it has been cold!
It has gone from singlet tops and sun dresses to jeans and jumpers (okay, who am I kidding… I am on holidays, so pyjamas and trackie pants) I know I am usually a whinger about all things weather, but this time, I am not complaining- I love the change of seasons…
The leaves changing to all the shades of autumn, the smell of wood fires burning … and comfort food!
This is one of my favourite recipes to make. It is super quick to make, especially with supermarkets and local chicken shops selling roasted chicken already shredded and ready to go. The sauce is creamy and you can really add in whatever vegetables you like. Here are some fabulous side salads to go with these little pot pies.
Want the ultimate sweet comfort food? Check out this Baileys Chocolate Sauce … I could literally drink the stuff! It would be perfect to have with ice cream after these chicken pies.
So, once again Mum- you were right! I promise I won’t giggle next time 😉
What is one thing your Mum was always right about?
Have you followed me on Instagram yet? Pop over and say Hi!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek
- 250 grams shredded roasted chicken
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk (+ an extra tablespoon, see instructions)
- 1 medium-large carrot
- 80 grams (approximately ½ cup) frozen peas
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2-3 sheets puff pastry (depending on size of ramekins)
- Finely chop the leek and cook over a medium heat with the oil until soft and transluscent.
- Add the cornflour and stir until the leeks are well coated.
- Add the chicken stock and stir to create a thick sauce with no lumps of cornflour remaining.
- Add the milk and mix.
- Add the shredded chicken pieces, followed by the vegetables. Bring to the boil and boil til thicken and then add the parsley.
- Take off the heat and cool the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Line ramekins with puff pastry, spoon in chicken mixture and close by sealing with another sheet of puff pastry. Brush the top pastry with some milk (optional)
- Cook in a preheated oven of 180 degrees for 15 minutes or until the pastry is cooked and golden