Eggless Sticky Date Cookies; crisp on the outside and sweet, thick and chewy on the inside. These cookies make the perfect snack or dessert!
I think I must be some sort of magician…
I swear the last thing I remember was the exhilarating feeling as I drove home from work on Friday afternoon… and then, I blinked… and it is Tuesday (mind you, I totally remember Monday… especially the part about getting out of bed, boo!)
It is the time of year in all teacher’s years where the dirty R word appears… reports (I was seriously trying to think of another one, I can’t… if you can, you might need to school me!)
I know teachers whinge about writing reports, but (teachers out there don’t hate me) I actually don’t mind writing them… sure they take a gazillion hours, heaps of correcting the slipped he/shes and your eyes feel like sandpaper after hours staring at the computer screen, but it is nice to reflect on all the great things the kiddos have done. Sometimes (like so many things) you get caught up in the day to day, to stop and look at what they have done (and what you have taught them) is really nice!
There is one more things I love about reports…the food.
Seriously, just like Christmas, Easters and birthdays… reports are totally guilt free, eat what you want, where did all that cookie dough go? kinda days… fabulous!
My current distraction is these cookies… who loves sticky date pudding??? AH… ME!
I got this recipe from my Mum, on a little piece of paper with ‘very yummy’ written on the corner. Since then, they have changed and adapted… but I can’t tell you where the original even came from (but thank YOU whoever thought up the fabulous idea!)
Note: every time I make these and get to the mixing stage I freak out there is too much butter… there isn’t, trust me. It does work. Just work in the butter well- it will seep out when you put them on the tray, but that just makes the edges extra crispy!)
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 170 grams butter
- ¾ cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup dark or milk chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Chop the dates and place them in a small saucepan with the butter, sugar and golden syrup. Heat on low, stirring until the better is melted, the sugar has dissolved and the dates have started to break down.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour with the ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl and create a well in the middle.
- Add the butter mixture to the flour/spices and stir until well combined. The mixture will be very wet (see note above)
- Take teaspoons of the mixture and place on a lined baking tray, leave a little room around them because the butter will seep out. Press down a little with a fork or back of the spoon.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and no butter remains around the edges. Cool on the tray slightly before moving them.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the top of the cookies once cooled. Leave to set. (optional step)
- Store in an airtight container.