Healthy Oat and Apple Bake; Sweet, soft apples with a crunchy oat crust and a drizzle of sweet, sticky honey. A quick, but healthy dessert or breakfast treat.
So ah… I think I may have put on 5kg over one weekend… is that even possible?!
I had an awesome weekend- I decided to go home and spent the whole weekend with Mum, Grandma and my sister. And my Dad. Dad isn’t an after thought- but just in the complete pain in the butt, annoying world of someone who has divorced parents, we have to juggle our time. Ergh.
Dad lives near me, Mum near my sister- so Dad travelled with me to see my sister… I saw Mum. It is just lucky that Dad likes a sleep in so Kiera and I could hang out in the morning! Anyway…
Mum is a complete foodie- We spent the days coffeeing, breakfasting… snacking! (and shopping!) I think I ate more cheese and chocolate in 2 days than I would in weeks…. really.
I also spent time with my beautiful grandma, 89 years young. I am in the middle of writing down some of her memories, about the old days- so she told me about her farm in Hungary and days of when she first moved to Australia. We ate warm bread, local olives and dukkah while staring out the window at this. How beautiful is it?! A perfect winter Saturday.
So, now I am back home- remember I wrote about how my jeans and I were not friends in my Guilt Free Brownie Batter Oats? Well… I had started to repair the relationship and the weekend undid all of that. So I am now back on track- but OMG….I love dessert!
So here is a quick dessert (or breakfast!) to keep the sweet tooth happy that doesn’t take me off track… in fact, I think I might make another one with the local apples I just bought back home!
Do you still live in your original home town or did you move like me?
I live in the city, but gosh I miss the country. Ever think about moving back to your home town?!
I’d love to hear from you, leave me a comment!
- 2 large apples (I use green)
- 1 cup milk (any)
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ tablespoons honey (can add extra if desired) + extra for serving
- ½-1 teaspoon cinnamon (depending on taste) + extra for serving
- (coconut oil to grease the baking dish with- if wanted)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees fan forced.
- Cut the apples into approximately 1cm cubes.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the milk, yoghurt, vanilla, honey and cinnamon together.
- Add the apples and oats to the mix ensuring the oats are mixed through and the apple is well coated.
- Use a medium sized baking dish (ceramic if possible). If coating your dish, coat it generously with coconut oil and place the mixture in the dish in an even layer.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the oats have soaked up most of the liquid and the top is golden and a crust has formed.
- If you like cinnamon, dust with cinnamon and then drizzle with honey before serving.
- Serve warm with yoghurt, custard or ice cream.
Don’t forget to pin me!