Salted Caramel Sour Cream Banana Muffins; sweet, soft, fluffy banana muffins with a smooth, decadent salted caramel drizzled on top. Need I saw more?!
Why am I SO tired?? It is early in the am and to be completely honest- I just don’t want to do anything. I’ve had enough sleep, but the thought of the day ahead seems like an uphill battle. And to top it off, I think I have writer block.
I read somewhere that someone said you need to write like you talk…. well depending on who you talk to… I don’t think you’d want that. Depending on how tired I am (remember… up above…!) my language can sometimes be not hmmm… blog appropriate. Just sayin’
I think sometimes people have this impression that teachers, especially ones of young children, are these perfect people who cook cupcakes (okay, I do that), smell delightful (I hope so…), always dress beautifully (back ‘in the day’ but somedays, especially in winter… I am just happy that my clothes match) and are sweetly spoken people who make perfect choices… the truth is…
Some days it is JUST about survival.
Hair cutting (or pulling), fights, ‘he wont play with me’, ‘she looked at me in a way I don’t like’, tears, ecstatic laughter, exciting squeals, hyperactive kids who resemble puppies who have just realised they are going for a walk, Kirsten, Kirsten, Kirsten …. KIRSTEN… and that is just between 9am and 9.05am… 😉
Can you see where I am coming from yet??
One thing I CAN say is that teachers love morning teas… a few things support our survival in that harsh environment- coffee, tea and sugar. We love a morning tea… especially a sweet little treat that just gives you that extra boost to get through the
day next session 🙂
My original plan was to be an astronomer… perhaps I should have stuck with that? 😉
What did you want to be when you were younger??
- 2 cups self raising flour- sifted
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ cups mashed ripe banana (about 2-3 large bananas)
- ½ cup of melted salted butter
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs- lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup (approximately 65 grams) butter
- ¼ cup (approximately 45 grams) caster sugar
- ¼ cup (approximately 45 grams) medium packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- ¼ cup sour cream
- large pinch of salt (approximately 1 teaspoon- can adjust for personal taste)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, place the sifted flour, caster sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and gently mix until combined.
- Mix the melted butter and vanilla extract in with the mashed bananas and then add to the flour mix. Add the sour cream and gently mix until just combined. Add the lightly beaten eggs and then fold the mixture until combined.
- Spoon into muffin tins until approximately ¾ full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and the top pops back then touched softly.
- While baking...
- In a saucepan, place the butter, caster sugar, brown sugar and golden syrup. Melt on a low heat, stirring to ensure it is well combined, the sugar dissolves and it does not burn.
- Once melted, add the sour cream and salt, mix and then bring to a light simmer.
- Simmer for 5 or so minutes or until it slightly thickens.
- Once cakes come out of the oven, let them slightly cool and then pour caramel over the top. They can be served warm or cold. Store in a airtight container once cooled.