Stuffed French Toast with Ricotta and Berries; hot, crisp on the outside and gooey and sweet on the inside. A perfect way to start the day!
Do what I say… not what I do…
Not all the time, but for a special date that happens in February (how the hell is it February already by the way??) I never partake in the buying things… but I do like the getting of flowers. Don’t judge me – I love giving presents and Valentine’s is like my Christmas(someone always forgets to get a Christmas present – I think it’s the shopping crowds – but will remember Valentine’s day and anniversaries… which I forget!) But hey – I am always happy to celebrate anything with food, and we have a complete menu here for you!
Soft Almond Cookies from Imagelicious
Easy Blackberry Mousse from Veena Azmanov
I’ll be honest, I think Valentine’s day is a bit of a money grabbing crock –
I am thinking it even more right now while my partner de constructs the house, is hammering a wall louder and more times than I think he needs to and I’m typing with one eye – out of fear that a hammer is going to go through the glass in the door & the cat is being warned that she is in a ‘hard hat area’ I mean… he is installing a door…
Joke aside – he is actually doing a terrific job. See… I ordered this door online because it seemed like a really good idea at the time. It’s no ordinary door. To make things worse… it didn’t fit, so it had to make it fit and the instructions were wrong – he noticed this, I insisted he follow the instructions – whoops!…. Now the door is too small… he had to fix it again and while I am pretty sure he would have loved to have probably thrown the drill through the window and chopped the door in half (and probably needing a second pair of hands to help…)… he is whistling while installing it and being bitten alive by mosquitoes… while I drink a wine and blog. That… that my friends is ♥
Are you big on Valentine’s day or just love an excuse to devour on some delicious food… like this French Toast!
- ½ cup smooth ricotta
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar (can add more)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 heaped tablespoons berry jam
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 slices thick bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a small bowl add the ricotta, 2 teaspoons of the brown sugar (can add more) salt and the vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- In another bowl add the egg, milk and brown sugar and beat with a fork until the egg is broken up and the ingredients are well mixed.
- On two slices of the bread, spread the ricotta evenly over the base. On the other two slices spread a tablespoon of jam evenly over it.
- Join one ricotta and berry bread pieces together to form a sandwich and repeat with remaining slices.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan on a medium heat until melted.
- Place one sandwich in the egg mixture and then flip to coat each side - place in the frying pan and repeat with the second sandwich.
- Cook each side for a few minutes or until golden and the bread as formed a crust.
- Serve while hot.